Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fourth of July in Washington D.C.





We've had some great travels these last few months to Minneapolis, Wisconsin Dells, Chicago and most recently, Washington D.C. Being back in Flo Mo is so Flo Mo-ish after spending some time in Chicago and D.C. where there is so much action, it's kinda hard to get used to the heat and slower pace. Abbie has told me several times how she wishes we had a subway and we lived in a big city. She has so much to learn! She wants to live in an apt. in New York City and thinks that would be a good place to raise a family.

D.C. was a blast, just one sight seeing activity after another. We mainly walked and used the Metro. I bet we walked 3-5 miles a day. It isn't worth driving a car around because there is no parking. Even with my new Walking Co. shoes, my feet are sore and I have a few blisters. The Mall area where the White House, Capital, and Smithsonian museums are is such a huge expanse, it really requires a lot of walking. It's been awhile since I've been there, there is so much to do. We visited the zoo, and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (where they make the money). Oh, and we went to the Kennedy Center-I've always wanted to see that.

We also went to Mount Vernon, VA one day (George Washington's home). Greg took the boy's to the Naval Academy in Annapolis while Katie and I toured Woodrow Wilson's home and walked around Embassy Row. Abbie was at cheerleading camp by this point. When I took Abbie to the airport on the Metro, I forgot to switch lines and we were on our way to VA until I realized we were on the wrong train! Luckily, she didn't miss her plane.

Our hotel was in Georgetown which was really cool. There was a Barnes and Noble across the street from us, which was handy.

There is a beautiful new WWII memorial. Greg's dad was in the navy then and died last September, so it was really moving to be there. Greg and Charlie teared up and got really emotional. Charlie was especially close to Greg's dad. Even though he didn't die in the war, it's inspiring to know that he was willing to die for our country-how noble. America lost 200,000 people in that war.

The fireworks on the 4th were amazing. We had the Washington Monument as a backdrop behind the fireworks. My niece Cassie, and her husband Lawton, who live in Baltimore, met us to see the fireworks.

Watching the kid's reactions to seeing the memorials, especially the Lincoln filled me with so much joy. Before we went, Abbie and Charlie thought Lincoln was life sized, they had no idea about the scale of the monument. I guess I'm a gushy patriot. Learning more about the history of the Revolutionary War and the Civil War made me feel in awe of our country and how thankful I am to live here. I just want to give George, Thomas J. and Abe a big hug.

Okay, I know, blah, blah, blah. How boring it is to listen to someone else's trip verbatim. I got a little carried away. I didn't mean to write a novel. If you've had time to complete it, thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Perry Reichanadter said...

Wow, that fireworks picture is amazing!

Angie said...

LOVE the blog!! Welcome to the world of blogging! It's so therapeutic and fun for everyone. Great first entry.......can't wait to see what's next :)